Tuesday, August 11, 2009

iPod future

As we are all aware, the iPod is the music phenomenon of our decade if not our century. But will it continue to dominate the world of portable music? Recent studies "suggests that people are making the jump from older iPods to newer models, a trend backed up by our recent iPod survey. The iPod Classic (defined as any generation of video-playing iPod) is the day-to-day music player for 31 percent of respondents. Fifty-two percent of all respondents have owned one or two iPods, and 34 percent bought their first model in 2003 or 2004.

As chips continue to get smaller, more powerful, and cheaper, it stands to reason that Apple could beef up the other versions of the iPod, the Shuffle and the Nano, with additional capabilities and features. Certainly, it will be able to keep increasing the amount of storage available on each device, the single largest request of MP3 player shoppers who responded to our poll. Wi-Fi capability was the second-most desired trait in a future iPod."


"Also, basic mobile phones are growing more and more capable of handling simple music playback, said Ross Rubin, an analyst with The NPD Group. And at some point, the ability of manufacturers to add more and more capacity will outpace the growth of the average individual's personal music library, he said.

The iPhone and the iPod Touch are the kind of innovative high-margin products that Apple likes to have. In a crowded marketplace, you need to find some way to differentiate yourself, and Apple has traditionally focused on making high-end products with great design that are easy to use."

So the future of Apple and the iPod is uncertain as is the future of anything, but as of now, these products are still on the top of everyone's list and looks as though they can keep up with the competition.


7 comments:

  1. When I think of Apple I usually think of overpriced computer parts. The people that buy them usually think they are trendy. But the iPod is different, it has perfected functionality of the mp3 player. Its user-friendly interface makes them extremely attractive to all ages. Anyone can instantly grab an iPod and with no prior knowledge know how to use it. That is a designers dream, a user-interface so flawless that it's instructions are practically built in. I have been waiting for a while to get an iPhone, and based off the trend and evolution of the iPod i think its safe to wait a little longer. Apple always seems to slowly phase out the old by bringing something so knew and must have. I am just waiting for that must have thing to hit the iPhone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say that I personally think that the IPod is one of the greatest inventions of this decade. I have owned the same one for the past 5 years (an IPOD classic) and will never go back to anything else.

    What makes the IPod great is that it is portable and has a number of functions and features. They are relatively easy to use and not terribly expensive are like and hand held computer that stores music, files, calendars, movies, pictures, appointments and games. You can even connect to the internet, instant message and check email. Now with the IPhone you have all these capabilities and it doubles as a cell phone!

    Individuals and industries of all sorts are using IPods and IPhones each and every day. Children, teenagers, adults all walking around with IPods. Personally I do not know anyone that does not own some sort of IPod – even my dad who hates new technology uses one to listen to audio books since he can no longer read due to his blindness after hearing about it from others with the same issue.

    In addition music can be helpful and healing. Many cancer patients have purchased IPods to listen to soothing music or positive affirmations while undergoing chemotherapy treatments. This has been shown to help speed up the recovery process.

    I use my IPod each and every day. I never leave home without it. My purse, my cell and my IPod – my three main things that I grab running out the door!

    ~Angela (A Bag of Tricks)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The iPod is a great product, with a version that can fit the needs and budgets of anyone. Easy to use and incredibly popular, the iPod is probably the greatest development in the consumer music industry since the cd player. I also believe that the iPod is so popular that it has the capacity to evolve right along with new changes in technology for many years to come. Apple seems to me at least to be a company that likes to stick with its product brands as well. For example, Apple has used the Macintosh brand for its computers since the 1980's I believe. There will probably eventually be an iPod that displays music videos in a holographic display.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The question should be “is the future of music players an iPod?” The iPod and all its family members have distinguished themselves from every other music player in history by being original and combining the right technologies. The iPod is the future of music players and cell phones and mini movie players. The iPod will have a very long and fruitful life. Even though I just listen to music and don’t get very involved with it, I still loved reading about everything music. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Truly, the iPod has become the most famous portable music player of all. In such a small period of time, it has conquered the market and grabbed share of the music industry. With owning a total of 7 iPods thus far, I have embraced the impact it has brought upon the ability to listen to all of my music, anywhere and at anytime. Currently, using the iPhone 3GS, I may not be able to store all of my music on the 32GB space of storage, but because of that extra wi-fi feature, I am able to use such services, which connect me to my home library on my computer and listen to EVERYTHING! With the innovation of their music store; iTunes store, I am able to download the newest single of my favorite band or singer and instantly have it in my hands, playing out of my earbuds in matter of seconds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The future of the ipod is the Iphone. They will be linked together as the ultimate Apple product. Regular Ipods will still be sold but their capabilities will remain close to what they are now with the exception of more memory and better sound quality. Other Ipods will also be sold that focus more on video use than for music, they will have larger screens and contain more memory. The future is a single device that will be everyones Ipod, cell phone, and computer. All of these products will be intertwined much the way that the Iphone is now. Songs can be played on it and it also has internet capabilities. The amount of songs the device will hold will be roughly the same amount as a regular ipod and why worry about downloading movies when you can watch them on netflix.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love my ipod! and if it were to continue to evolve i would love it even more! i am the type of person who will listen to music no matter what mood im in and it always makes me feel better! so to think of how this ipod will evolve, maybe it will even be the size of a blue tooth and i could listen to music all day!

    ReplyDelete