Monday, June 22, 2009

? What Is Music ?


According to Webster's II: New Riverside University Dictionary, music is "the art of arranging tones in an orderly sequence so as to produce a unified and continuous composition".

Is there really only one definition of music? Music is however a person portrays it. The definition of music is different to everyone. To one person it may mean relaxation, another horrendous noise. Music is unique in each person’s life.

Music is Science
It is exact, specific; and it demands exact acoustics. A conductor’s full score is a chart, a graph which indicates frequencies, intensities, volume changes, melody, and harmony all at once and with the most exact control of time.

Music Mathematical
It is rhythmically based on the subdivisions of time into fractions which must be done, not worked out on paper.

Music is a Foreign Language
Most of the terms are in Italian, German, or French; and the notation is certainly not English; but a highly developed kind of shorthand that uses symbols to represent ideas. The semantics of music is the most complete and universal language

Music is History
Music usually reflects the environment and times of its creations, often even the country and/or racial feeling.

Music is Physical Education
It requires fantastic coordination of finger, hands, arms, lip, cheek, and facial muscles, in addition to extraordinary control of the diaphragmatic back, stomach, and chest muscles, which respond instantly to the sound the ears hear and the mind interprets.

Music is all of these things, but most of all….

Music is Art
It allows a human being to take all these dry, technically boring (but difficult) techniques and use them to create emotion. That is the one thing science cannot duplicate: humanism, feeling, emotion, call it what you will.

So what is Music to YOU?

Works Cited:
Yoshimura, Kathy. “What is Music.” http:// www.cwrl.utexas.edu. 22 June 2009.

2 comments:

  1. When I saw the name of the post this was the last thing I expected to see. I was thinking more along the lines of tone, rhythm, etc.

    But without a doubt in my mind I can say you're right. Music cannot be defined. It's different for all of us and we all use it in different ways. For me personally music is the motivation to get my lazy butt out of bed every morning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me as a believer music is an amazing gift given by God to humanity to glorify Him. There is so much music can tell than just word without the melody. Music gives people the opportunity to feel things in much higher level. It relaxes the soul and personally makes me closer to God. I`m not a good singer but I sing as better as I can to tell God how much I love him. My husband is also a musician and he gave me more passion for music. As we were united we sing most of the time together. I think music also brings people closer not only to God but also to each other.

    ReplyDelete