Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Music technology from past to present

As we are all becoming more aware, we are spoiled today when it comes to being able to click a button and hear the song we just heard on the radio. But during the 1800's and before, everything was performed live and that was the only way we got to hear music. Since then, with the help of Thomas Edison and his phonograph, analog recording came about and remained popular for many years. Until digital recording was introduced in the 1980's." Tape can also have multiple tracks. Multiple track recording can record individual tracks of sound (such as drums, guitar, voice, etc) on one tape. These tracks are later mixed which is adjusting the levels of individual tracks to make a master tape. Adding effects such as, delay, echo, flanging, and phasing was also found to be possible with tape recordings.

Text Box:  The cassette tape, released in 1964, displaced the LP record. This medium [HL4] was available in most homes, cars, and in portable devices like the Sony Walkman. Also, the availability and functionality of tape recording devices helped in the success of the cassette tape."

After the cassette tape lost its popularity with the invention of the CD in the 1980's, music technology continued to change from there. Although CD's today are still rather popular, the i-pod is slowly taking over.

5 comments:

  1. I remember being in middle school and hearing my favorite song on the radio and putting a cassette in the radio and playing the song as many times as I could to record it onto the Cassette. I have not seen a cassette in years and the Cd definitely took over their role!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The good old cassette. This handy music device helped me make alot of music tapes. I remember i use to record songs i wasn't allowed to listen to on cassette and i dug them up a little while ago, the songs i had on there were moderate to what kids listen today. So here is to the cassette ruing my mind since age six

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still remember this cassette since i was 8 years old.My cousins and my parents were using this in our car and also to record some songs too. In India and some other countries they are still using this cassette more then cds. In today's society the CD's, Mp3 players ,IPOD took over the place of cassette. I still know some people who are still using this cassette and they are happy with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i remember waiting by the radio all day long to hear my favorite song and record it on my cassette player. The coolest kinds were the ones with 2 tape decks so you could copy a friends. Then to shoot a decade down the line where all you need to do is type in a song on the computer, click a couple of buttons, and it is now stored on a tiny device you can bring with you anywhere. Technology is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There was a time when i thought that the radio controlled my life. I was so into music that I would sit around waiting for my favorite song and being as impatient as myself I thought that there has got to be a more timely efficient way of hearing my favorite song instead of waiting around all day. Fortunately, the cassette was invented and i thought that this was one of the greatest technological inventions of our time. Although CD's came to replace them I will still value the cassette for being that first portable listening tool which allowed me the convenience of hearing that favorite song that I am constantly looking for. Now with the invention of the ipod you can pick and chose any song you would like in the click of a button. So it doesn’t seem that we are moving away from portable musical devices but rather just changing them around to be more compact and time efficient which we as society constantly crave for a more convenient product.

    ReplyDelete